Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Criminal Ineloquence

Minnesota Public Radio held a debate with the four leading Democrats seeking the party nomination for governor. These people are criminally ineloquent.

I can't give you exact quotes. But, you know, if I'm getting ready for a candidates debate, I'd surely have prepared a damn good explanation of why I'm running for governor. One said said, essentially, "I'm running for the future. Because of our children." Of course you are. But you don't have to assume that your voters are children. Another, the leading candidate, basically said that he's for doing things better. Oh good. Thanks!

I understand that there's taking the high road and there's getting specific and you've got to know your audience and split the difference. But a simple question -- why are you running for governor -- deserves a simple answer. Here's what I want to hear:

"Look, Minnesota's got a long tradition of progressive government to help folks live a better life. We used to invest in education, and our schools were the envy of the nation. We used to take of our poor and our elderly. We used to put money into roads, parks and the arts. And we were successful. Great businesses grew and thrived. New businesses flourished. People stayed here, because they knew that the good life was here in Minnesota.

"In the past decade and a half, we've gotten away from that. We've cut education funding. We've starved our social welfare system -- we're leaving people out in the cold. We haven't addressed critical transportation issues. We've cut back on arts and parks funding. If it takes taxes -- well, that's what taxes are for -- they're what we contribute to better our communities.

"We've lost sight of why we as a state have come together to form a government -- so that we can make a better life for ourselves, our families and our communities, today and into the future. Minnesota was once a special place -- it can be that way again ... let us dare to be exceptional. That's what I'm here to do."

I'll put away my soapbox now. Maybe this makes sense only to me, but I just want to see Democrats be proud of who they are, and what they've accomplished. They need to stop being cowed by the "no taxes" crowd, and tell us what they'll use our taxes for. I think there's a majority that'll be proud to get behind a Minnesota that stands for something.

No comments: