Thursday, March 03, 2005

Humor Hiatus

Since I begin many days by reading myself into an alchohol-like stupor, I tend to get obsessed certain favorites. My flavors of choice have certain similarities:

* Daily updates
* Rich feature catalogs
* Humor, typically of the literate-and-clever-yet-juvenile category.

I tend to stick with my favorites ... if a satisfying buzz can be obtained, why not go back again and again? But when their owners stop updating, it can be a very unsettling experience for me.
Witness LostBrain. This humor site, while sloppily edited and unevenly written, has had its moments over the years, and, most importantly, delivered the potential for laugh-out-loud comedy on an almost daily basis. Then, after writing a send up of Martha Stewart's website for fans written as she faced her prison sentence, and, in April 2004, a lame call to hack into Gmail, the site went dark. No updates, no explanation. No comments comments on the web about the site. No bylines by the writers in other publications.

And yet, I keep going back, maybe once a week, just to see if they have added a story, or a letter to poor, pathetic readers like me who wondered where they've been. And I dropped in again yesterday, and, good lord, there's an update. An extremely lame story about Barry Bonds and steroids, and a couple vague references in the headline links that the stories are all a year old or so. I feel vindicated for my loyalty, and betrayed by the editors' utter indifference to my plight.

And don't even get me started on Modern Humorist.

No comments: