Tuesday, November 01, 2005

More Songs in My Head

Some songs I'm imagining myself singing...

Livin' on the road my friend
Is gonna keep you free and clean
Now you wear your skin like iron
Your breath's as hard as kerosene.

- "Pancho & Lefty" by Townes van Zandt

They say that these are not the best of times
But they're the only times I've ever known...

I have seen that sad surrender in my lover's eyes
I can only stand apart and sympathize
For we are always what our situations hand us:
It's either sadness or euphoria.

- "Summer Highland Falls" by Billy Joel

I've been driving
Sixteen hours
This rain is like a
Metronome.

- "Been Set Free" by Peter Himmelman

I was singing a song about open plains
I was singing a song about a rope.
I was about a southbound train
I was singing a song about hope.

And it's not like I'm goin' nowhere
'Cause I'm getting there awful fast.
It's not like I'm in a hurry to get there
Sometimes I wish I had more of a past.

Everyone is cheering
While I'm leanin' against the rail.
Everyone sees their future nearin'
While I'm just afraid to fail.

And what were you thinking when you told me you loved me?
Did you even know that you had lied?
What were you thinking when you looked me in the eyes...
And made just one..lonely ... plea:
Decide...

"Decide" by me, Impending, today

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
chez bez said...

Anyone who quotes Himmelman is cool in my book. I saw him back on the Skin tour and that remains one of my fave shows ever.

Be well.

Kadet said...

Thanks, man.

Himmelman is a favorite around here... seen him many times ... awesome, awesome performer. not sure if he does it elsewhere, or even now, but he has this thing in Minneapolis where he stops the show after awhile and says "meet me at Lake Calhoun" and then hangs out and plays acoustic for a few more hours sitting on a rock by the lake.

"be well"...you too...