Thursday, February 17, 2005

There isn't enough time

I was wondering today what it would take to break my internet addiction. What if I were to start a blog?

Some background: I was reading a book last night called Delivered From Distraction, about dealing with ADD. Yeah, I'm probably poster child for this "collection of traits", as the author genially names it. People with ADD, apparently, often will "medicate" themselves with alcohol, drugs, sex.

I don't.

I medicate myself with words.

I read. All the time. I get to work in the morning, log in, check email. If there's nothing disasterous there, I start my routine.

First Slate... I like the media column, movie reviews, the political/military analyses and pop culture. Now that the elections are over, it's a harder read.

Then, to the humor sites...Pointless Waste of Time...incredibly juvenile, incredibly funny, over and over again. Related is Pinkerton's Weblog...highly creative, blunt, juvenile humor with a brain...and a working knowledge off comic books.

From there, it can vary...a quick check of fantasy basketball scores...My Yahoo page to review client news. Romenesko for what's on The Media's mind. Metafilter when I just need fix of something new. After a couple of hours of this, I'm wasted.

The goal is to never be alone with my thoughts. I do shots of the New York Times Crossword in the john, and the read the editorial page while walking to lunch. At home, it's The Atlantic and Sports Illustrated ... in a pinch, the daily newspaper. In the car, talk radio, bouncing between sports and offensively conservative talk to avoid the ads.

Turn it off? What would happen then?

Is anyone else like this?

No comments: